Charyn Canyon has long become one of the most popular tourist places in Kazakhstan. Let’s find out why everyone loved this place so much.
The canyon was formed about 25-30 million years ago, thanks to wind, water and the sun. In addition to the Valley of Castles, there are the Lunny and Bestamak canyons. We’ll go there another time.
📹 Charyn Canyon video
🚗 How to get to Charyn Canyon
Charyn Canyon is 230 km away from Almaty. This is about 3-4 hours by car.
The main attractions of the Charyn Canyon include:
- rafting on the river and fishing
- overnight with a view of the night city,
- bird watching (birdwatching or birding),
- stargazing and others.
🌵 Valley of Castles
The Valley of Castles is not the Charyn Canyon, but it adjoins it.
🚁 Photos from drone
🧭 Route and GPX/GPS tracks
🗺️ Route map from Almaty to Charyn
🎒 Other routes
- Red Mountains Boguty, Kazakhstan. Mars-like views, desert, route
- Mynzhylki: how to get there, route description, Alpingrad, Almaty mountains
- Charyn Canyon 🌵 : Valley of Castles, Charyn river and more
- Big Almaty Peak through the Terra Field: how to get there, route, Almaty
- Terra Field and Alyoshkin Bridge: how to get there, route, Almaty mountains
- Anatoli Boukreev peak: how to get there, route, hike in Almaty mountains
- Butakovskiy waterfall: how to get there, route, Almaty mountains
- Manshuk Mametova lake: how to get there, route, Mynzhylki
- Kok-Zhailau: route, waterfall, photos and videos, Almaty mountains
- Furmanov Peak and Panorama: photos, route, swing in the Almaty mountains